Deadline Approaches! Join the Ironclad Art Design Challenge
Submit your design by April 15th, 2013
Have you ever thought how it would feel to see your designs become part of the city where you live, work or go to school? Now is your chance! Submit your design to the Ironclad Art Design Challenge before 4 p.m. April 15 and you might see your design come to life in the streets of Vancouver.
The Ironclad Art Design Challenge is looking for designs that highlight the importance of our separated sewer system. As the City replaces and upgrades old sewer mains each year, two new pipes are laid to help prevent flooding and eliminate overflow into Vancouver’s waterways. Together we can increase our environmental awareness and with careful practices by citizens, we can all improve our water quality, contributing to a greener Vancouver.
SELECTION PANEL ANNOUNCEMENT
Our esteemed panel, charged with the difficult task of evaluating hundreds of submissions, will be:
- Vanessa Kwan, Vancouver artist and programmer and, with her emerging artists’ collective Norma, winner of the 2011 Mayor’s Arts Award for Public Art;
- Germaine Koh, internationally-acclaimed multi-disciplinary artist, curator, writer, and winner of a 2010 VIVA Award;
- Corinne Hunt, First Nations artist world-renowned for her furnishings, totems, sculpture and jewelry, including the 2010 Olympic medals;
- Bob Kronbauer, creative director and publisher of Vancouver Is Awesome;
- Sadhu Johnston, Deputy City Manager of Vancouver who has pioneered environmental approaches here and in Chicago;
PRIZES FOR TOP 30 SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED
The panel will select a short list of 30 artists. From that shortlist, the panel will select two designs to go on storm and sanitary sewer covers throughout the city. The two winners will receive $2,000 each. Those short listed will receive a basket of passes to cultural and recreational events throughout the city including:
- Bard on the Beach – A pair of tickets to a performance of Twelfth Night at Bard on the Beach Sunday, June 23 – 7pm performance.
- Science World of British Columbia – The recipient’s choice of either 2 adult VIP passes for the August Adult Evening, or 1 adult and 1 child General Admission passes for a daytime visit.
- Museum of Vancouver – A pair of complimentary admission passes.
- Maritime Museum – A pair of admission passes.
- Vancouver Park Board – A pair of complimentary admission passes valid at any Park Board fitness centre, swimming pool or ice rink.
- In addition, the Vancouver Fringe has generously donated pairs of ticket vouchers and memberships to this year’s festival tor the gallery ambassadors who will be sitting the show at the InterUrban Gallery.
Media inquiries should be directed to:
- Ironclad Art: The Manhole Cover Design Challenge Kicks Off (ourcityourart.wordpress.com)
- Vancouver seeking manhole cover designs for “art underfoot” (metronews.ca)
- City offers prizes for artistic manhole-cover designs (theprovince.com)